In the far South of the island, Uluwatu is known for being a surfers paradise with picturesque white sand blue water beaches, incredible waves and magical sunset bars.
But, not only surfers thrive in Uluwatu. It is a must-visit for the non-surf inclined, too.
With stunning luxurious beach clubs, amazing restaurants and beautiful villas, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Grab your swimmers and come with me on a tour of all the Uluwatu neighbourhoods – breaking down the best places for basking in the sun, having an ice-cold beer at sunset and all of the must-go restaurants.
Here is my list of the best places to stay in Uluwatu.
Balangan – A Cliffside Paradise
One of the most popular cliffside spots of Uluwatu, Balangan is well-known for its beautiful white sand beach, luscious cliffside and panoramic view points.
Venture to the clifftop – Balangan Beach Viewpoint – that looks out over the sand and ocean. Capture the perfect Instagram pic, or just bask in the idyllic sunset moment with your loved one.
Balangan is just a short drive away from many of the luxurious beach clubs in Uluwatu.
You can sip on a delicious fresh cocktail or ice-cold beer as the sky changes to outstanding colours and the sun retreats into the horizon. A truly memorable moment for any Uluwatu trip!
A stay in Balangan promises long sunny beach days, cliffside walks and cosy accommodations.
Boho-Chic Bungalow within a Luscious Resort in Balangan
La Cabane is one of my favourite spots in Balangan. This beautiful resort has tropical gardens on the cliffside, with a huge shared pool that slowly slopes down into the water – a perfect spot to remain cool in the sun. The bohemian private bungalows and friendly staff will have you returning every Uluwatu trip! Definitely one of the best places to stay in Uluwatu.
A Modern Sea View Private Villa in Balangan
If you are looking for luxury, Phocea Golf View Villa is the perfect spot for you. Featuring beautiful bright bedrooms with huge windows and direct garden access, a glistening private pool and luscious views of the surrounding golf course to the ocean, it is the ideal place to spend a memorable getaway with your loved ones. With 4 sumptuous bedrooms, everyone will be comfortable and relaxed.
An Affordable Paradise Hostel in Balangan
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to be able to have an enjoyable trip in Balangan. This comfortable and homey Uluwatu hostel is the ideal compromise for those looking to explore on a budget. Offering both private and dormitory bedrooms, a refreshing plunge pool and happy staff, you can quickly feel at home in this beautiful wallet-friendly spot.
Things To Do in Balangan –
- Hike up to the Balangan Beach Viewpoint for a beautiful sunset and romantic moment with your partner or loved ones
- Sip sunset drinks at Rock Bar within the Ayana Resort in Jimbaran
- Bask in the sun on the white sand beach, dipping into the glistening blue ocean waters to cool off
- Try your hand at surfing with one of the kind and hands-on surf instructors
- Enjoy fresh seafood at The Point Balangan Beach, or one of the other clifftop, ocean view spots
- Tuck into local delicacies and Indonesian favourites at Cafe Balangan
- Explore New Kuta Green Park and hit a few putts on the golf course
Bingin – A Place to Unwind and Relax in the Sun
Bingin is my all-time favourite place to stay in Uluwatu.
If I have had a hectic week, and am looking to escape my day-to-day to take a long weekend, I head straight here.
The beach, the beautiful villas, the seafront restaurants, live music and chilled atmosphere, everything comes together to create the ideal getaway.
You can spend quality time with your loved ones, or just hang out solo, whether on the beach or around the pool, you are promised a peaceful time.
The rules don’t apply in Bingin – you can relax, eat and unwind to your heart’s content.
A Tropical Peaceful Hideaway in Bingin
Lala Homestay is the epitome of relaxing, tropical vibes. Spend a peaceful stay at this cosy homestay enjoying time in the luscious gardens, taking part in yoga lessons and exploring the nearby area for tasty restaurants. Whether you are travelling alone or with a partner, at Lala Homestay you will feel like part of the family. Meet the other guests and friendly staff, and have a getaway to remember.
A Romantic Private Bungalow Ideal for a Honeymooning Couple in Bingin
For those who are going to be celebrating a special occasion with their loved one, or looking for a romantic honeymoon spot, Mahi Mahi Suite couldn’t be more perfect for spending quality time together. The bright and tropical space is private with a luxurious bedroom, plunge pool and decking where you can soak in the sun and unwind after a day of exploring the town.
Beachfront Haven Ideal for a Beach Getaway in Bingin
Resembling a treehouse with its beautiful boho-chic, natural design, The Korowai offers a peaceful spot where you can relax. The cosy bedroom, beautiful furnishings, sea-view balcony and easy beach access makes it the ideal place to base your Bingin adventure. Escape the crowds and enjoy some private time with your significant other or bestie.
Things To Do in Bingin –
- Spend a long sunny day at my favourite Uluwatu beach, Bingin beach, basking in the sun and dipping into the glistening blue waters to cool down
- Dine at Kelly’s Warung overlooking the ocean and digging into fresh falafel and tasty snacks
- Grab some fresh seafood beside the waves at Lucky Fish restaurant
- Watch a live band at The Cashew Tree while enjoying a large platter of fresh vegetables, salads and dips. You can also enjoy the on-site boutique!
- Take a surfing lesson from one of the professional and skilled instructors – starting on the sand before heading into the waves
Padang Padang – Live your Eat, Pray, Love Fantasy
We all know the iconic scene when Julia Roberts and her Brazilian love interest frolic in the beautiful clear ocean in Eat, Pray, Love – that was filmed at Padang Padang beach.
Surrounded by cliffs and enormous rocks, it is one of the most stunning beaches in all of the Uluwatu areas.
Lined with locally owned beach bars, you can easily find a cool beverage after a long stint in the sun, or head down and grab a beer for sunset.
Padang Padang has an easy current, and small pools where you can hunt for fish, crabs and refresh your feet.
With such comfortable and homey accommodations nearby, you can easily spend every day enjoying this sandy paradise.
Private Bungalow Hostel on the Cliffside in Padang Padang
Located high up on the cliffside, Taman Sari Uluwatu is a hostel/surf camp that features private bungalow bedrooms. Their shared pool is perfectly positioned overlooking far-off ocean views. You can spend time lounging around the bean bags, meeting the surf-enthusiasts and picking up tips on how to shred the waves.
A Bohemian Heaven Overlooking the Ocean in Padang Padang
Le Cliff is an idyllic picturesque spot located right above the beach, overlooking the ocean. Bright, cosy and comfortable, I can imagine spending a long weekend here with my partner – relaxing, sunning and exploring the nearby restaurants. The tropical atmosphere and stunning setting creates the perfect vibe for a calm, serene getaway.
Nautical Inspired Beachfront Escape in Padang Padang
Sitting right on the beach, Ocean Escape resembles a boat with its nautical themed interior design. Spend long evenings watching the sunset into the horizon from your own private terrace. Cosy up with your loved one in bed and watch the stars twinkle in the night sky. For a romantic escape, this is where to stay in Uluwatu.
Things To Do in Padang Padang –
- Spend a day on the beach, basking in the sun, soaking in the water and taking killer Instagram pictures between the huge rocks
- Shop for all new surfing gear at Rip Curl Uluwatu
- Dig into some amazing Mexican food at The Mango Tree Cafe
- Sample some local dishes in Warung Bu Nyoman or Padang Padang Sari
- Refresh with an early morning smoothie bowl at Nalu Bowls
- Dine overlooking the ocean for a romantic meal with your loved one at Blue Heaven Bali
Uluwatu Cliffs – A Sunset Dream Spot
One of the best things to do in Bali is to catch a magical sunset each night.
Grab your friends, head to a cliffside – or cliff top – bar and cheers ice-cold beers as the sun begins its descent into the ocean.
Offering some of the most beautiful and undisturbed views on the island, the Uluwatu Cliffs are a hotspot for nightlife.
My favourite sunset bar in the Uluwatu Cliffs is Single Fin. Featuring amazing live bands and DJs, a full menu of delicious bites and every type of liquor – you are in for a good time.
Modern Cliffside Resort with Luscious Gardens
Located on the sprawling cliffside overlooking incredible Indian Ocean views and the expansive horizon, The Istana is a magnificent, luxurious accommodation for escaping the crowds and enjoying quality time with a loved one.
Spacious and modern, each of the rooms are their own private haven with deluxe beds, beautiful garden views and access to the many shared amenities.
Affordable Cosy Hostel Ideal for Travellers in Uluwatu Cliffs
The Pande Hill Homestay is a luscious, tropical getaway that doesn’t break the bank. Perfect for budget travellers exploring as a couple, you can enjoy private rooms and bungalows with a huge, shared pool.
Close to Uluwatu Temple, you can head there early in the morning for a beautiful, less crowded experience, or visit for the famous sunset and Kecak dance.
Resort Living on the Cliff Tops in Uluwatu Cliffs
A spacious and tropical resort located overlooking stunning ocean views, Uluwatu Clifftop is a beautiful spot where you can relax with your loved one with a cosy private bungalow accommodation. Spend your days exploring the vast luscious gardens and dipping into the shared swimming pool. Just a short drive from restaurants and cafes, it is a great place to base an Uluwatu stay.
Things To Do in Uluwatu Cliffs –
- Spend an evening at Single Fin enjoying the vast menu, tasty cocktails and live band with views of the sun setting over the ocean
- Start your day with an early morning coffee and breakfast at Suka Espresso Cafe
- Visit Uluwatu Temple in the evening to see traditional Balinese ceremonies, and catch the Kecak and Fire Dance at sunset
- Sip an ice-cold beer at Sunset Point Uluwatu
- Bask on the sand for a day at Blue Point Beach
- Visit The Find boutique store for some new clothes or gifts for loved ones back home
- Surf the waves at Suluban Beach
Ungasan – The Area with a Little Bit of Everything
Ungasan is the largest Uluwatu area, running down from the hills to the cliffside.
Featuring the GWK Cultural Park, boutique shops, supermarkets and cliff top day clubs, this is the area to be if you want a relaxed getaway yet still be in the action.
Featuring some of the most luxurious villas on the island popular for weddings and events, as well as modest hostels and resorts – with any budget you are able to find an accommodation that is comfortable, homey and perfect for your Uluwatu retreat.
A Dreamy Hillside Villa Within the Karma Kandara Resort in Ungasan
A tropical and comfortable villa surrounded by luscious greenery, Karma Dream Villa is the perfect accommodation for a small family or group of friends who want to take advantage of the amazing Karma Kandara Resort amenities. Spend your days soaking around the private pool, exploring the resort grounds and basking in the sun on the private beach. At Karma Dream Villa you can enjoy all the luxuries that Karma Kandara has to offer.
A Surfer’s Dream Hostel in Ungasan
Ideal for a pro-surfer or surf enthusiast, Sultans of Swell is home to a community of surfers who take to the waves each morning, and spend their days lounging around the hostel. Hosting a variety of private room options, as well as the usual dormitory rooms, you can pick whichever best suits your budget. Make some new friends and hang out with like-minded people, Sultans of Swell is the perfect surfer family.
Ideal Getaway for the Solo Traveler or Couple in Ungasan
Adila Bali is a family-run resort filled with cosy and bright private bedrooms. Perfect for a first-timer to the area or a season pro, the friendly resort offers a relaxing place where you can laze in the sun. Featuring a huge shared dining area and swimming pool, you can meet the other guests, and spend some quiet time alone looking out to the view. Adila Bali will quickly feel like home.
Things To Do in Ungasan –
- Explore the GWK Cultural Park – it is filled with theatres, museums and the famous GWK Statue, which stands out on the landscape of Bali
- Shop til you drop at the local surf stores and independent boutiques
- Visit Sundays Beach Club for a sunset bonfire on the beach as the sunsets
- Spend a long day basking in the sun at Karma Kandara Resort private beach
- Tuck into a decadent meal at Ju-Ma-Na Restaurant looking out to the ocean
- Relax on the sand at Green Bowl Beach or Melasti Beach surrounded by white cliffs
- Sample local delicacies at one of the local warungs along the cliff top
As you can see, there is a whole host of things to do and see in Uluwatu, and each area has their own draw.
If you are looking to spend long sunny days on the beach with good food – I highly recommend Bingin.
If you want cliff top views of magical sunsets and beautiful private villas – Uluwatu Cliffs is perfect for you.
Filled with hostels, hotels, resorts and villas to match every budget and preference, you don’t want to miss out on the chance to visit this incredible place.
Grab your loved ones, and head South for a getaway to remember!
Featured image: Mahi Mahi