Canggu has quickly become one of the most popular areas in Bali for its thriving party scene, endless live music gigs and trendy, cute cafes as well as the black sand beaches and lavish beach clubs. This would all seem to attract the younger demographic, but there is still a touch of the ‘real Bali’ in there.
In this article, I will break down the different areas of where to stay in Canggu, highlighting the best spots for; partying, exploring, surfing or just simply relaxing. The idyllic beachside town is a diverse and interesting place with so much to offer every type of traveller.
Batu Bolong – Best Neighbourhood for Food and Parties.
Batu Bolong has risen itself to the top of the list of must-visit spots for young travellers in Bali. It hosts some of the most well-known bars – including Old Man’s and Deus, as well as vegan restaurants, Instagram-worthy cafes and a popular surfing beach. There is an unlimited choice of options of where to eat, drink and party. But it isn’t all just sunsets and beers, Batu Bolong is the heart of Canggu with spas, yoga schools and local Balinese folk going about their traditional island life. Intermingling the tourist nightlife with hints of the ‘real Bali’, this is a great place to relax, eat, and maybe eat some more..
Instagrammable Villa in Batu Bolong – The Young Villas
The epitome of trendy, The Young Villas is a bright and lively private villa in a safe, secure complex. A picturesque chic retreat, the villa features an idyllic mixture of tropical and modern style that is perfect for Instagram. Calm and breezy, this island getaway is ideal for the partier and relaxer alike.
Modern, Bright Hostel in Batu Bolong – Kos One Hostel
Kos One Hostel is one of the best places to stay in Canggu because it is walking distance to pretty much everything! The stunning Mediterranean design makes it stand out from the other hostels in the area, and it even features its own restaurant and boutique shop – cool!
Best Beach Resort in Batu Bolong – Aston Canggu
Just steps from the beach, Aston Canggu towers over Batu Bolong providing a beautiful rooftop bar and pool far above the treetops. The full-service hotel is a great place to recover from a night on the town, and has an on-site restaurant that must be visited!
Things to do in Batu Bolong
- Enjoy live music and cold beers at Deus Ex Machina
- Dine on fresh fish in Moana
- Try the brewed on-site beers at Black Sands beside the luscious rice paddies
- Spend a lost night in Pablo’s
- Try the amazing pizzas and pastas in Luigi’s, and attend a Luigi’s Tuesday night party
- Shop til’ you drop in the local markets and boutique stores
- Have a pamper session at Amo Spa
- Play beer pong in Old Man’s on a Wednesday
- Catch a magical sunset from one of the beach bars on Batu Bolong beach
- Watch a movie in the backyard of The Lawn overlooking the ocean
- Party on the sand til’ the early morning at Sand Bar
- Join a crazy mosh pit in Gimme Shelter to a live band
Echo Beach – A Surfers Paradise.
If Batu Bolong is the party centre of Canggu areas, then Echo Beach is the surfer hotspot. Just a hop, skip and a jump over from Batu Bolong, international surfers from around the world are lured to the challenging waves of the black sand beach. Still boasting some hints of traditional village life, there is the perfect mixture of expats, locals, and tourists, creating a chill laid back atmosphere. A great place for surfing beginners and pros, you can take advantage of the local surf instructors who offer lessons on the beachfront. For those who are not surf inclined, La Brisa beach club is a stunning setting for a memorable sunset.
Relaxing Hostel in Echo Beach – The Palms Canggu
The Palms Canggu is a tropical haven with the perfect mixture of modern and traditional Balinese styles. With both private and dormitory bedrooms, you can choose the room that fits your budget. Just a few minutes drive from the beach, every surfer will be happy here.
Idyllic Tropical Villa in Echo Beach – Villa Ruby
An idyllic place to relax after an early morning on the waves, Villa Ruby is a chilled setting for sunny island days. Perfectly located between Echo Beach and Batu Bolong, gather with your friends for a quick drink before heading out for a night at the bars.
Luxurious Beach Resort in Echo Beach – COMO Uma Canggu
If you want to surf, you can’t get a better accommodation than this beachfront resort. Overlooking the ocean you only need to look out the window to check the condition of the waves. Enjoy the on-site restaurant and beach club as a tropical sunset takes place.
Things to do in Echo Beach –
- Head to the La Brisa Sunday Market for boutique goods and fresh flowers
- Spend a day on a sunbed watching the surfers on Echo Beach
- Take a surf lesson from one of the local experts
- Enjoy a cold, sandy Bintang as the sunsets
- Dine on delicious Greek food in Santorini Restaurant
- Hustle for a day in Dojo Coworking
- Dance the night away at Lost City Club
- Satisfy your Mexican cravings at Taco Casa
- Join a beach clean up to clear Echo Beach of trash
- Luxuriate for a day at Echo Beach Club sipping fancy cocktails
- Take a yoga class in Ecosfera Yoga
Kerobokan – In-between Canggu and Seminyak.
Kerobokan is the middle ground between Seminyak and Canggu. Mixing with traditional local life, it is the perfect in-between for those wishing to enjoy all that the popular Canggu areas have to offer, while still having easy access to Seminyak. Filled with cosy cafes and mini-markets, you can join the daily hustle and bustle to go for breakfast or to grab groceries. This is the place to be if you are looking to sample the tastes of the island and authentic Indonesian street food. Just a few minutes drive from Berawa, Kerobokan is a convenient base for your island adventure.
Spacious Family Home in Kerobokan – Villa Tirtadari
This sprawling villa is away from the street noises of Kerobokan for a relaxing and tranquil stay. With the lush lawn and towering gardens, it is a private paradise in the heart of the town. Spend sunny days around the pool, and evenings exploring the Canggu neighbourhoods nearby.
Palatial Private Villa in Kerobokan – Casa Adeline
A bright and trendy home, Casa Adeline is a beautiful place to spend a memorable trip. The in-built pool fence makes it the perfect accommodation for a family with young kids. Just a short drive from the main street of Canggu, explore the nearby local warungs for fresh local delicacies.
Sprawling Lush Garden Villa in Kerobokan – Villa Menari
An expansive shared villa in the centre of Kerobokan, Villa Menari is a grand and spacious home where you can relax after a day of exploring Canggu. Bask around the pool and spend quality time with your loved ones in the tropical setting.
Things to do in Kerobokan –
- Visit Primo Bali Chocolate Shop
- Learn about the Balinese culture in Petitenget Temple
- Go shopping for brass antiques
- Dine in Bali Buda for delicious vegan and vegetarian meals at a cheap price
- Explore the local shops for baskets and rattan furnishings
- Sample Indonesian delicacies including gorengan from every street corner
- Eat authentic Italian food in La Casetta
- Try your hand at skateboarding at Amplitude Skate Park
- Get lost in the luscious rice paddies
- Shop for tropical greeneries at the local nurseries
- Devour some of the best gelato on the island at Gusto Gelato
- Shop for fresh fruits at the busy Lio Square Junction
- Visit the local market to find fresh vegetables and authentic spices
Pererenan – The Ultimate Tropical Retreat.
Next on the list of where to stay in Canggu is Pererenan. On the outskirts of the town, encompassed by luscious green paddy fields, Pererenan is an idyllic and quiet area to spend your getaway. Hidden from the busy crowds, this is the perfect place to enjoy a serene yoga retreat or calm island escape. Immerse yourself in nature driving through the paddy field roads until the beach. With the quintessential Bali views and scenery, but just a short drive from Batu Bolong, you have everything you need for a magnificent island experience.
Paradise Couple’s Retreat in Pererenan – River Studio
The epitome of paradise, River Studio is a chilled accommodation with a beautiful architectural design. Featuring tropical gardens and endless rice paddy views, this is where you can truly unwind and disconnect from the world. A beautiful 1-bedroom retreat.
Luscious Affordable Hostel in Pererenan – Margarita Surf Hostel
A cheap and cheerful accommodation in this idyllic haven, Margarita Surf Hostel is perfectly located just a short drive from the beach and close by to cafes. Overlooking luscious tropical views, you are ensured a comfortable and relaxing stay meeting other travellers.
Ultimate Bali Views Villa in Pererenan – Villa with a View
Overlooking the most iconic of Bali views, this villa resides at the bottom of a delicate rice terrace. Tranquil, beautiful and luxurious, this is one of the best places to stay in Canggu. Only moments from the crowds of Batu Bolong, you can easily explore the popular restaurants and beaches.
Things to do in Pererenan –
- Tackle the challenging waves of Pererenan beach on a early morning surf
- Get some pretty nail art and a deep massage in Maria Curau
- Take to the rice paddies for a stunning photoshoot (be careful not to damage the crop)
- Stroll the beach at sunset for beautiful views
- Drive the scenic roads on long afternoon motorbike rides
- Visit the traditional Gajah Mina Statue on the beach
- Grab delicious pastries and a coffee at Monsieur Spoon
Berawa – The Neighbourhood with Everything.
If you have searched through this list and are still unsure on which of the Canggu neighbourhoods best suits your trip, then Berawa is the place for you. It offers everything; Bars? – got it. Surfable waves? – yes. Amazing restaurants and cafes? – check. Beach clubs? – only the best on the island, Finn’s Beach Club. Berawa is the heart of Canggu and caters to every individual traveller. Thriving with spas, boutique shops, mini-markets and local warungs, it is the ultimate collection of the best of Canggu.
Comfortable Island Home in Berawa – Villa Torpet
Located just a short walk from Berawa beach, Villa Torpet is a peaceful accommodation away from the crowds yet just a few minutes drive to restaurants, cafes and shops. It is ideal for a small family or group of friends looking to remain central, but tranquil – and close to the beach.
Thriving Social Hostel in Berawa – Canggu Castle
Canggu Castle is a young travellers dream with a buzzing social scene, shared pool and on-site restaurant, all at a cheap price. In a quiet lane a few minutes walk to cafes and Crossfit, you don’t need a motorbike to explore from here. Slap on your suncream and start walking.
Tropical Haven in Berawa – Villa SeaEsta
Villa SeaEsta is a picturesque haven in the heart of Berawa. Just a short drive from the amenities of the area, you can head out for a delicious brunch with a comfortable home to return to. Luxuriate in the tropical gardens around the pool, soaking up the sun.
Things to do in Berawa –
- Spend a lavish beach day at Finn’s Beach Club on a lounging daybed
- Get your matcha fix at Matcha Cafe
- Dig into a burger at Avenue A accompanied by a live band
- Pick up gifts for your friends at Billie’s Canggu
- Have a pampering spa day at Jet Black Ginger
- Rebel with a new piercing or tattoo from Koloni
- Explore Finn’s Recreation Club for unlimited entertainment including a water park and sports bar
- Take a sunset beach walk with your loved ones
- Sample delicious local delicacies in one of the quaint warungs
- Taste all the cookie flavours in Dang!
- Take a fitness class in Body Factory
- Wander the La Laguna Gypsy Market
Has this helped you to decide where your next Canggu trip will be based? Personally, I need some R&R so I will be heading to River Studio in Pererenan – a hideaway from the fast paced streets is just what I crave. Book me in for a massage and a scrub, and I will be ready to head back to buzzing Batu Bolong.
Canggu has the perfect neighbourhood for every type of holiday, traveller and preference. From the surfers to the digital nomads, the backpackers to the high luxury travellers – each one of you will all be able to find your dream hideaway spot.
Featured image: The Young Villas